RETAINERS IN WESTCHESTER, NY
Keeping Your Teeth Straight and Beautiful
Congratulations on completing your orthodontic treatment! At Glaser Orthodontics, we understand that the journey to a straight and beautiful smile doesn’t end when your braces come off. That’s why we offer comprehensive retainer services to ensure your teeth remain in their corrected position for years to come.
IMPORTANCE OF THE RETENTION PHASE
Retainers are a crucial aspect of the post-braces phase, preserving the hard-earned results of orthodontic treatment. Even after braces have aligned your teeth, they are not fully settled in their new positions. This transition takes time as your gums, bones, and muscles adapt.
Everyday actions like chewing and grinding can apply pressure to your teeth, potentially causing them to shift and resulting in misalignment when your mouth is closed (malocclusion). Braces straighten your teeth, but retainers act as guardians. Without a retainer, there’s nothing to prevent your teeth from reverting to their previous alignment.
What is a Retainer?
A retainer is a customized dental device that plays a pivotal role in the post-braces phase of your orthodontic journey. This tailor-made device is designed to fit comfortably in your mouth, sitting over your teeth. Its primary purpose is to maintain the new and corrected position of your teeth after the braces have done their job.
At Glaser Orthodontics, we offer various types of retainers in Westchester NY to cater to your individual needs. Retainers come in two primary categories, each with its unique features:
- Fixed retainers are affixed to your teeth using a secure bonding agent, ensuring they stay in place at all times.
- These retainers are often used for the front, lower, or upper teeth to prevent them from shifting or separating over time.
- Fixed retainers provide continuous support, making them a popular choice for many patients.
- Removable retainers offer the flexibility of being taken out for eating, cleaning, and other activities.
- Our removable retainers are custom-made to fit your teeth comfortably.
- We offer different types of removable retainers, including traditional (Hawley) retainers and clear (Essix) retainers, allowing you to choose the option that suits your lifestyle and preferences.
Whether you opt for the convenience of a removable retainer or the durability of a fixed retainer, Glaser Orthodontics is dedicated to helping you maintain your beautifully aligned smile.
Getting Your Retainer
The process of obtaining your retainer is an essential step in ensuring your smile remains as stunning as the day your braces were removed. Our team goes above and beyond to make sure this process is seamless and tailored to your needs.
- Dental Impression: Our experienced team will take a precise dental impression of your teeth using the latest 3D dental imaging technology.
- Custom Creation: The dental impression is used to create a custom-made clear specifically designed to fit your teeth comfortably and effectively.
- Fitting: Once your removable retainer is ready, we will ensure it fits snugly over your teeth and guide how to wear and take care of it.
- Precise Placement: Our skilled orthodontists will use a metal wire to measure the correct placement of the fixed retainer on your teeth.
- Secure Bonding: A bonding agent is used to securely attach the wire to your teeth. This process ensures that the fixed retainer remains in place, providing continuous support.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long do I need to wear a retainer?
Your orthodontist will typically recommend wearing your retainer full-time (day and night) for at least four to six months immediately after your braces are removed. After this initial period, you’ll transition to wearing your retainer at night (part-time) for an extended period, often for the rest of your life. This part-time wear helps ensure the lasting alignment of your teeth.
Can retainers move teeth back if they’ve shifted?
Yes, in some cases, wearing your retainer as instructed can help move slightly shifted teeth back to their aligned position. However, it’s crucial not to delay wearing your retainer if you notice any changes in your teeth, as the longer you wait, the harder it can be to correct these shifts.
How do I take care of my retainer?
Proper care is essential to maintaining your retainer’s effectiveness and hygiene. Here are some tips:
- Remove your retainer when eating.
- Store your retainer in its case when not in use, avoiding pockets or purses.
- Avoid chewing gum while wearing your retainer.
- Keep your retainer away from pets that might chew on it.
- Avoid exposing your retainer to heat, as it can melt.
- Clean your removable retainer regularly with antibacterial soap and water, or as advised by your orthodontist.
- Rinse your retainer with warm water after brushing and flossing.
- Consult your orthodontist for specific cleaning instructions based on your retainer type.
Why does my retainer smell, and how can I address it?
Bacteria can accumulate on your retainer, causing unpleasant odors. To combat this issue:
- Clean your retainer daily using a soft toothbrush, soap, or a recommended cleanser.
If your retainer starts to smell, consider soaking it in a special cleanser made for retainers, as advised by your orthodontist.
What if my retainer breaks or gets lost?
In the event of a broken or lost retainer, it’s crucial to contact your orthodontist promptly. Continuing without a retainer can lead to teeth shifting, potentially requiring additional orthodontic treatment. Your orthodontist can repair or replace your retainer as needed.
How much does a retainer cost, and does insurance cover it?
The cost of a retainer can vary depending on factors such as the type of retainer and your location. Some dental insurance plans provide partial coverage for orthodontic treatment, including retainers. To understand the specifics of your coverage, it’s advisable to check with your insurance provider.
Preserve Your Beautiful Smile with Glaser Orthodontics
At Glaser Orthodontics, we’re here to support you every step of the way in maintaining your stunning smile. Don’t let your hard work with braces go to waste—invest in the long-term health and beauty of your teeth with our retainers in Westchester NY.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation or discuss any questions you may have about retainers, orthodontic care, or any other dental concerns. Let’s keep your smile picture-perfect. Reach out now and take the next step in your orthodontic journey.