Today, adults wearing braces make up about half of all orthodontic patients in the United States. It is never too late for an adult to attain a healthier mouth, straighter teeth, and a perfect smile. Dr. Barry Glaser and the team at Glaser Orthodontics are experts in adult braces in Mohegan Lake, NY.
There is a general misconception that braces are worn only by children and teenagers. But, orthodontic treatments with braces have evolved considerably in recent years. Braces have become more lightweight and easier to install and remove. At Glaser Orthodontics, adults are choosing orthodontic treatments with braces more and more frequently.
Why Adult Braces?
- Misaligned or crooked teeth (malocclusions) affect our appearance and our self-esteem, and poor dental and oral health care can be a contributing cause to a number of adult-related health care concerns.
- Improperly aligned teeth can cause problems chewing food, which may lead to gastrointestinal complications. Misaligned teeth and crossbites can trap food and increase the likelihood of plaque buildup. These conditions increase the chances of an adult patient developing gum disease and other more serious health-related complications (tooth decay, toothaches, earaches, and headaches). A crooked-toothed smile may also cause problems with public speaking, cause self-image concerns, and even prevent professional growth and advancement.
- Dr. Barry Glaser understands the reasons why an adult near Mohegan Lake, NY may need to wear braces, and he helps each patient attain their treatment-outcome goals with sensitivity and compassion.
What are the Different Types of Adult Braces?
The Glaser Orthodontics team offers a wide range of orthodontic treatment options currently available for adults.
- Traditional Metal Braces: These are made of high-quality stainless steel, and many orthodontists feel that they are the most effective devices for straightening teeth, especially in cases where there may be severe misalignment. They often produce the desired treatment outcomes faster than any other type of braces.
- Clear Ceramic Braces: Clear ceramic braces for adults are fitted to the front of the teeth and match the color of the individual’s teeth. Many people who want their braces to be less conspicuous, for aesthetic or professional reasons prefer clear ceramic braces.
- Lingual or Concealed Braces: Lingual braces have brackets that keep them in place and are affixed to the back of the teeth. These braces are not outwardly visible.
- Invisalign a.k.a clear aligners: Clear, easily removed plastic tray aligners that are ideal for adult patients with mild teeth-spacing issues. The aligners are able to be removed while eating, when brushing teeth, and when flossing. This is a healthy and hygienic choice for adults considering braces near Mohegan Lake, NY. These braces are almost invisible and are preferred by people who feel self-conscious about appearing in public with braces on.
If you have misaligned or crooked teeth, or just want to improve your smile, adult braces may be the right choice for you. Remember, there is no age limit for treatment for an existing orthodontic problem. The only way to find out what adult orthodontic treatment procedure is right for you is by scheduling a free consultation with Glaser Orthodontics near Mohegan Lake, NY. Call Dr. Barry Glaser today at: 914.739.6400