Summer is a time to relax, indulge in summer foods, and just have fun! From barbeques to county fairs to going to the movies, there are hazards that brace wearers should be aware of for the health of their teeth. To avoid damage to your teeth, mouth, and braces, we offer the following tips:
– Avoid eating meat off the bone – At your next BBQ, meats on the bone, like ribs and chicken, need to be eaten with care. Eating meat off the bone can cause your brackets to become unglued. Be sure to cut the meat off the bone first and then you can enjoy that mouthwatering BBQ. Also, don’t forget to cut the corn off the cob!
– Avoid chewing ice – It may be hot at the beach, but avoid chewing ice in order to cool down. Not only can the ice get caught in the brackets and wires, causing damage to them, the ice can damage your teeth by causing little hairline fractures!
– Wear lip balm with at least an SPF of 15 – Your lips are a part of your mouth and should also be protected. When outside, especially at the beach, not only should you wear sunscreen, you should also protect your lips from the sun’s rays by applying a quick swipe of lip balm.
– Avoid sticky foods – The county fair always has fun foods, but there are some you should avoid when wearing braces. Candied apples, licorice, and taffy are foods you should definitely stay away from! Their stickiness can cause braces to break. Plus the sugar isn’t good for your teeth!
– Be careful of popcorn – Movies and popcorn go together, but extra caution must be taken when wearing braces. The kernels can get jammed between the wires and your teeth, causing damage to your gums and your braces.
Even with this list of foods to avoid, there are plenty you can still enjoy this summer! The most important thing you can do is to continue brushing and flossing regularly in order to keep your teeth healthy. Remember, braces are temporary and soon you’ll be able to enjoy it all! Be sure to call Dr. Glaser at his Cortlandt Manor office at (914)739-6400 if you have any questions or concerns.