Are you an adult considering orthodontia to straighten your teeth but are concerned about your appearance while undergoing treatment? At Glaser Orthodontics, we customize a personal plan of teeth-straightening care that best fits your orthodontic treatment goals and your cosmetic concerns for patients living in Yorktown Heights, NY. Advancements in orthodontic care technology such as Invisalign or braces may be the right course of treatment for you.
But, which form of treatment is more effective? The answer is subjective, as is the needs and tastes of every patient at Glaser Orthodontics.
Differences between Invisalign or braces
- Traditional braces are not removable by the patient. These types of teeth-straightening braces consist of brackets and wires that are fixed onto your teeth and worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Because they are not removable, patients using this treatment plan must take the proper precautions, such as avoiding certain foods or playing rough in contact sports).
- Invisalign is removable and essentially invisible to the human eye. Invisalign is a clear plastic tray that fits over your teeth. They may be taken out during the day for eating, brushing your teeth, and flossing. A removable appliance, however, requires extra care to ensure that they stay clean and hygienic. Invisalign is easy to remove and to keep clean.
- Traditional braces are made of metal brackets and wires. They provide stability and are effective at straightening teeth. However, the sides or “wings” of the brackets might cause sores and pain during mouth movements.
- Invisalign is made of a strong, medical-grade, thermoplastic material. The Invisalign trays are fitted snugly around your teeth. They are clear and removable, so they are not very noticeable. They cause less discomfort than metal braces but might not be as effective as traditional braces in treating vertical adjustments.
- Traditional braces can sometimes be less costly than Invisalign. It is difficult to state definitively whether traditional braces or Invisalign costs more than the other. The price of both treatments depends on the individual patient’s needs. The amount of work needed, the length of the treatment, your insurance coverage, and the course of treatment worked out with Glaser Orthodontics all factor into the price of your treatment.
- Traditional braces are cheaper, easy to clean, and more effective in raising or lowering misaligned teeth.
- Invisalign clear aligners are removable, lighter, and more convenient to wear during day-to-day activities.
Trust Glaser Orthodontics to help you choose the right course of treatment for your individual needs and lifestyle, whether that is Invisalign or braces near Yorktown Heights, NY. They can help you make the best decisions for you and your smile and will help you in choosing the right orthodontic treatment for you. Contact us at: 914.739.6400
Today, adults wearing braces make up about half of all orthodontic patients in the United States. It is never too late for an adult to attain a healthier mouth, straighter teeth, and a perfect smile. Dr. Barry Glaser and the team at Glaser Orthodontics are experts in adult braces in Mohegan Lake, NY.
There is a general misconception that braces are worn only by children and teenagers. But, orthodontic treatments with braces have evolved considerably in recent years. Braces have become more lightweight and easier to install and remove. At Glaser Orthodontics, adults are choosing orthodontic treatments with braces more and more frequently.
Why Adult Braces?
- Misaligned or crooked teeth (malocclusions) affect our appearance and our self-esteem, and poor dental and oral health care can be a contributing cause to a number of adult-related health care concerns.
- Improperly aligned teeth can cause problems chewing food, which may lead to gastrointestinal complications. Misaligned teeth and crossbites can trap food and increase the likelihood of plaque buildup. These conditions increase the chances of an adult patient developing gum disease and other more serious health-related complications (tooth decay, toothaches, earaches, and headaches). A crooked-toothed smile may also cause problems with public speaking, cause self-image concerns, and even prevent professional growth and advancement.
- Dr. Barry Glaser understands the reasons why an adult near Mohegan Lake, NY may need to wear braces, and he helps each patient attain their treatment-outcome goals with sensitivity and compassion.
What are the Different Types of Adult Braces?
The Glaser Orthodontics team offers a wide range of orthodontic treatment options currently available for adults.
- Traditional Metal Braces: These are made of high-quality stainless steel, and many orthodontists feel that they are the most effective devices for straightening teeth, especially in cases where there may be severe misalignment. They often produce the desired treatment outcomes faster than any other type of braces.
- Clear Ceramic Braces: Clear ceramic braces for adults are fitted to the front of the teeth and match the color of the individual’s teeth. Many people who want their braces to be less conspicuous, for aesthetic or professional reasons prefer clear ceramic braces.
- Lingual or Concealed Braces: Lingual braces have brackets that keep them in place and are affixed to the back of the teeth. These braces are not outwardly visible.
- Invisalign a.k.a clear aligners: Clear, easily removed plastic tray aligners that are ideal for adult patients with mild teeth-spacing issues. The aligners are able to be removed while eating, when brushing teeth, and when flossing. This is a healthy and hygienic choice for adults considering braces near Mohegan Lake, NY. These braces are almost invisible and are preferred by people who feel self-conscious about appearing in public with braces on.
If you have misaligned or crooked teeth, or just want to improve your smile, adult braces may be the right choice for you. Remember, there is no age limit for treatment for an existing orthodontic problem. The only way to find out what adult orthodontic treatment procedure is right for you is by scheduling a free consultation with Glaser Orthodontics near Mohegan Lake, NY. Call Dr. Barry Glaser today at: 914.739.6400
Dr. Barry Glaser of Glaser Orthodontics works every day with patients who are looking to fix their crooked teeth (malocclusions) and other orthodontic issues. An orthodontist is a dentist that has received special education and training after graduating from dental school. They deal mainly with the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of the malposition of teeth and jaws. The professionals of Glaser Orthodontics can help you better understand the benefits of orthodontic treatment for crooked teeth and what an orthodontist is in Yorktown Heights, NY.
A typical consultation with the professional orthodontics practitioners at Glaser Orthodontics may include:
- An analysis and diagnosis of each patient’s unique needs and outcome expectations.
- A report on the issues presented by the patient and a discussion with the doctor about treatment options.
- A treatment plan designed to correct the problems presented and to provide for the ongoing oral health of the patient.
- A strategy of treatment that is affordable, comfortable, and convenient to the patient while ensuring a maximal treatment outcome.
- A preliminary schedule to start treatment.
Dr. Barry Glaser will assess the current state of your teeth and diagnose if a patient can benefit from orthodontic treatment. The orthodontist at Glaser Orthodontics will perform a full medical and dental health history review, take X-rays of your teeth and jaw, do a clinical examination, and cast a plaster model of your teeth to determine the most effective treatment options in each case. Many orthodontists offer an initial consultation where these services will be provided free of charge.
A malocclusion refers to crooked or misaligned teeth and is a flaw in the relationship between the bottom and top dental arches.Some examples of malocclusions include crossbite, overbite, underbite, open bite, reverse bite, asymmetrical teeth, and impacted teeth. Three orthodontic techniques doctors use to treat malocclusions include:
- Fixed Appliances.Fixed appliances are used in cases of malocclusion where precision is key. Appliances that are regularly used are braces, fixed space maintainers, or specially made fixed appliances. Although patients usually can eat normally with these appliances, Dr. Barry Glaser advises patients near Yorktown Heights, NY to avoid some foods and drinks that may damage their appliance (candy, gum, soda).
- Removable Appliances
Glaser Orthodontists use, in some treatments, removable appliances like retainers, lip or cheek bumpers, splints, aligners (like Invisalign), palatal expanders and headgear. Removable appliances can be taken out of the patient’s mouth at any time, unlike fixed appliances. However, they should only be taken out when cleaning, eating, flossing, or if the doctor recommends that they be removed for activities like sports or playing an instrument.
- Orthognathic Surgery
Also referred to as “corrective jaw surgery,” orthognathic surgery is used to correct conditions of the face and jaw; problems that cannot be easily treated with braces. These conditions may be related to other issues like sleep apnea, malocclusions, jaw- or teeth-growth problems, or issues in the structure or function of the jaw. This surgical process involves realigning the bones of the jaw and then keeping them held in place with plates or screws.
Dr. Barry Glaser and the team at Glaser Orthodontics near Yorktown Heights, NY can answer any questions you might have about correcting your crooked teeth, brightening your smile, or for any orthodontic treatment you might be considering. To find out how you can get the healthy, beautiful smile that you deserve, schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Barry Glaser and the team at Glaser Orthodontics near Yorktown Heights, NY. Call: 914.739.6400